Sunday, August 15, 2010

Dear Real World,

You truly are getting the best of me. My 23rd birthday is fast approaching, and you've got me shaking in my boots (or flip-flops to be more exact), because I'm realizing how ridiculously adult-like I've become.

Some indicators I'm aging like a fine wine:


Summer is just another three months of work.


I'm working full-time and surprisingly enough, saving money in the process. I guess that's what work is for, huh?


Hello Kitty has lost her appeal; my brother actually foresaw this one coming, though I adamantly denied it could ever come to pass. Imagine a screaming 12 year old Jessica, "NOOO, HELLO KITTY FOREVER, HELLO KITTY FORREEEEVVVEEEERRRR!!!"


I almost passed out on the swinging boat ride at Circus Circus' AdventureDome. Luckily, the 13 year olds I work with turned a blind eye to this very embarrassing display of lameness.


I no longer qualify for insurance under my parents. Yes, I will be making that dentist appointment ASAP.


I gain weight. Bleh.


I've become secure in my status of a nerd. I don't like clubbing and I don't like partying....there I said it.


I'm more level-headed and more prone to being rational during conflict. I have my clients to thank for this; how can I expect them to use anger management techniques if I don't model them myself?


I have a 10 year plan.


I have a 20 year plan.


Marriage sounds like a reasonable option.


College seems like forever ago.


When asked why I can't go out my usual reply is, "I'm saving for grad school."


Some indicators that I'm still reveling in whatever remnants of childhood I have left:

I'm officially addicted to Plants vs. Zombies.


I can still kick it with my younger nieces and nephews.


Someone asked me if I was dating one of the boys I work with. He's 13. Yeah.


I painted my nails Shrek Green a few weeks ago. (Shout out to OPI's Shrek Collection!) Needless to say, I was quite the sight when I attended court with one of my clients: tailored shirt, a-line skirt, pearl earrings, and bright green nails.


Having kids sounds like a very unreasonable option right now.


I still stay up late. In fact, I'm writing this post at 2:30 am!


Notice the latter list is shorter. :o


I find aging particularly scary because I feel like it gives me a standard or expectation to which I should be living. What are other 22-23 year olds doing at this time? Am I up to par? I try to avoid thinking about the great prodigies and the very prodigious feats they were undertaking at my age. Needless to say, I shouldn’t be comparing myself to others. Our lives have taken us on different paths, and my path is mine alone.


Here are some nice pictures of younger, more carefree Jessica to accompany this post. From top to bottom: Christmas morning and sporting my pimp Little Mermaid pajamas and penguin slippers, before church showing off the backpack I sewed for my stuffed bear, river rafting with the siblings, my atrocious 1st grade school picture


GRE Word of the Post:

intransigent (adj): stubborn; immovable; unwilling to change

An intransigent Jessica refused to believe she was aging, but alas, her blog entry proved otherwise.

3 comments:

dapainster said...

the big two-three, huh? i remember that time... i just started being financially independent and realized that a girlfriend was very expensive.

signs that i'm old:
-grey hair
-balding
-senility

signs that i'm young:
-madden 11
-live with parents
-crawling through doggie doors

Kristen said...

Hello Kitty...lost...her...appeal?
You must be getting old!
I know what you mean. I've never been so confused as to whether I'm an adult as when I turned 23, and that's with being married. I've accepted that I probably won't grow up until I have kids, but since that won't happen for awhile, I'll enjoy my youth!

Anonymous said...

i love plants vs. zombies too! :)


hope all is well, i dont like clubbing and partying either, never really have so don't feel like a nerd cuz you arent

and don't worry what everyone else is doing, there isn't a set way to live life, keep going for your dreams and do what makes you feel like your life is worth something and what makes you excited about waking up in the morning :)