Thursday, August 23, 2012

Las Vegas Cheat Sheet: Food Edition

Thank you to those who have inspired me to revive the blog, namely my sister-in-law Jamie and my dear friend Jess (Tang) Coburn. 

When people find out I'm from Las Vegas, the usual reaction is disbelief because I turned out semi-normal (I'm sure there are many who would dispute this) followed by, "Do you have any recommendations of things to do while I visit?"  In fact, my good friend Tamarin is embarking on a trip to Las Vegas as we speak type.  I've decided to compile a Las Vegas Cheat Sheet of all of Jessica's favorites spots in Las Vegas. This way I can just refer people to this page and hopefully boost my readership.  It's all about the numbers, baby!  Also, keep in mind that I'm really not much of a clubber, so if you want clubbing recommendations, I'm not your go-to girl. 

People regularly ask me about the good eats in LV.  They seem to pick up on the foodie vibe I emit.  My follow-up question is usually, "What genre are you looking for?"  Here are my favorite eateries in their respective genres:

Chinese
Three Village Restaurant (awesome shan jian bao)
Yun Nan Garden
Noodle Pot (beef noodle soup)
Asian BBQ & Noodles
China Mama (decent shao long bao)

Japanese
Sushimon on Maryland and Silverado Ranch (note there is a Sushimon on Sahara but it is separately owned and significantly less tasty)
Goyemon
Yama Sushi (only for all you can eat)

Vietnamese
Pho So 1
Da Lat

Soul Food
Ella Em's
M & M

Mexican
Tacos El Gordo
Mariana Marketplaces

Korean
Soyo Korean Barstaurant (excellent soon dobu jegae and kimchee pancake)
Jin Mee

Spanish
Firefly

Afghan
Kabob Express

Filipino
DJ Bibingkahan

Buffets
M Resort Studio B

Hawaiian
Island Flavor

Vegan
Red Velvet Cafe (non vegan offerings as well)

Mediterranean
Market Grille Cafe
Paymon's

Indian
Taj Palace (for lunch buffet only)
India Palace (for non-lunch buffet)

BBQ
Memphis

Thai
Pin Kaow
Corner Thai Kitchen
Surang's Thai Kitchen

Pizza/Hamburgers
Metro Pizza
In and Out Burger (obviously)
Grind Burger
Smashburger

Dessert
Serendipity 3
The Cupcakery

I just realized this list is quite lengthy and more comprehensive than I originally planned.  I am going to break this cheat sheet up into categories and separate posts.  A favorites list of "things to do" will follow in a later entry.  If you need additional recommendations on what to eat at each restaurant (but really I would encourage you to be adventurous), feel free to comment or send me a message on Facebook and I will respond promptly (well as promptly as graduate school will allow for).  Will I ever be able to compile a good eats list for San Diego?  That remains to be unseen as I am on a restricted student budget and eating out just so happens to require money.  It may be high time for a sugar daddy...

Happy eating, folks!

No comments: