Thursday, December 27, 2012

2012 Christmas Letter (edited for blog)


Merry Christmas Loves! 
As usual, my procrastination has led to a mad dash to write my annual Christmas letter before Christmas is over.  I’m currently spending Christmas in Las Vegas and enjoying some mighty good company and eats.  The abundance of Chinese food in my hometown has not been kind to the waistline but the gluten-free diet I’ll be starting in January will hopefully counter this. 
2012 has been unbelievably good to me.  Many of you know about the trepidation I was feeling surrounding graduate school applications.  I was absolutely beside myself when I received an offer from (a school in San Diego).  While Portland and Seattle were both appealing, the mild climate and sandy beaches eventually won me over.  I made a trip to locate housing in July with my dear friend Tiffany, and eventually decided on a private room in (neighborhood I live in).  The sereneness of (the neighborhood I live in) has been conducive to graduate school life, and whenever I need a breather, the beaches and night life are only a short drive away.  San Diego is a bustling city with rich culture and history and a belief in building community.  As the largest city I’ve ever lived in (in the United States that is), its been an adventure learning how to navigate the streets and freeway system.  I’gradually learning about the different neighborhoods in SD and the distinct culture and vibe each community exudes.   
My first semester of graduate school began at the end of August and ended mid-December.  While returning to school has certainly been challenging, I am grateful to have a cohort that is immensely supportive and encouraging.  I could not have finished this first semester without their love and kindness.  I’ve never felt so at home amongst a set of classmates.  I’m surrounded by like-minded individuals who whole-heartedly believe in values such as diversity, self-determination, and integrity.  They truly exemplify the quote, “Social workers unto one another.”   
I am interning twice a week for (company).  My official title is Care Coordination Intern and in that capacity I complete mental health assessments, conduct individual and group therapy, and perform case management services.  My primary focus is adults with severe mental illness.  Working with adults is a major shift in focus as I was formerly working with foster children in Las Vegas.  While initially intimidating, I am learning that therapeutic connections can overcome all barriers, including age and racial differences.  My co-intern and I work wonderfully together and she has been a major source of strength and knowledge.  I also have a highly supportive supervisor who is shaping me into a better therapist and more importantly, a better person.   
If you’d like to keep in touch, you have a variety of mediums to choose from namely, Facebook, Instagram, and my occasionally updated blog (hey, that's what you're reading now!).  I’d love to hear from each as you as well.   

XOXO, 
 Jessica 


No comments: